Monday, April 4, 2011

New books and music

After attending the Sovereign Grace conference: Plant! about 10 days ago I was given (and purchased) several new amazing books. I have also purchased four new albums that I really enjoy. I think of how I love to read and and listen to music in a coffee shop.  A lot of times the music is random but interesting. The newness of it is definitely inviting. Sometimes what is truly awesome about those experiences is that it changes so much that even if it's awful you know it won't last long. Trying new things, within reason and orthodoxy, is helpful to the soul. Jen and I were discussing the other day how pickyness can be very unhelpful besides deeply annoying. Whether it's food, music, books or friendship there is always something fun to the new. But I am often thinking of how I need to be careful and not to start valuing the new over what I already love. I need both not one or the other. I need ancient truth and fresh ways to walk in and share it. I need an ancient God who is an ever present help. As I work through these new books and enjoy the new music I hope that you will take a chance on something new along these lines. There is so much amazing music that says so much about who God is and what He has done in and through Jesus without sacrificing musical quality. There are really old books that would be new finds for most of us that teach us great truth.
The music: Aftermath-Hillsong United
                 Here for You-Passion
                 Awaken the Dawn-the Getty's
                 Risen-Sovereign Grace

The books (some of them): The Church Planter-Patrick
                                          Generous Justice-Keller
                                          Delighting in the Trinity-Chester
                                          Reverberation-Leeman
                                         Church Planting is for Wimps-McKinley

Let me know what you think of them if you check any of them out.
Grace and peace

No comments:

Post a Comment