Monday, October 24, 2011

The same old thing

So the other day it was a particularly crisp fall morning. What was unusual that morning was that I didn't have somewhere to be immediately. I didn't have tasks to accomplish right then nor did I have small children fighting for my attention or each other's toys. What struck me in that moment was a great grace to me in my estimation. I was drinking a cup of coffee just like I do several times a day every day. What was unusual about this cup was not where it came from, its strength or freshness. What was different was my enjoyment. As I was drinking slow sip after slow sip, I kept thinking, "man this tastes good." I wasn't thinking about getting up and getting going. I wasn't thinking about how late I stayed up or how early and dark these fall mornings come. I was just enjoying the taste and warmth of the coffee. It was in that moment that I realized the danger of routine. I don't mean just driving the same way to work every day but that might need a little changing every now and then as well. I mean how life just keeps rolling on and I start to take things for granted. Or I do things or handle things so often and become so familiar with them that beauty and wonder are excused from the conversation. God really impressed upon me the freshness of the Gospel. That while I teach and challenge myself and others so much of the time with how important it is and how much Jesus loves me and you, it was easy to miss enjoying those truths. It was easy to miss enjoying Jesus. And in truth I remembered that this is what I was made for. Not just superficially skating through life attempting to avoid as many pitfalls as possible. No I was made to enjoy God and all that He gives me. I was made to marvel at the simple beauty of the Gospel and the greatness of Christ. Life can make coffee, relationships with spouses or friends and even our relationship with God just another thing we do. As God grants you the opportunity, take time to enjoy Him today. Remember that all your sin has been paid for and you have full access to the presence of God. I know that life and busyness will encroach again but I am encouraged that God will be faithful to renew my understanding and enjoyment of Him again.
Grace and peace

No comments:

Post a Comment