Monday, February 10, 2014

Perfect amounts for imperfect days

So when I am at home I am the primary coffee drinker. My wife drinks some coffee occasionally, but she doesn't mind reheating it or just having a half cup. This means that I don't have to share much at home. When we travel to stay with family at the holidays or even at work, there is a requirement that we allow other people to have at least some coffee too. While I can go to Starbucks and get free refill after free refill, I know that that situation is special and should not necessarily be the norm. But interestingly enough, there always seems to be enough coffee when I need it. Now sometimes, I have to grind more or even run to the store and purchase more. But I believe that there is a picture of walking with Jesus that we can learn from this.

Just as we find ourselves regularly supplied coffee, snacks and bathrooms, so we can thank God for the myriad ways that He supplies all that we need according to His supply. And when we have to put some effort into getting more, I am reminded of the Spirit led, gracious effort that I need to sometime put in to grow. I don't have to grow the coffee or ship it or anything like that. I just have to make it, or buy it. Similarly, we don't have to grow ourselves or yank sin out of our hearts. We are called to make every effort to enter God's rest and to grow in the grace and knowledge of Jesus. But it is in coming to Jesus empty handed that we confess openly that he is all we truly need. We receive his grace and walk by faith in it's enduringness. And what we find is that God is always showing up and being faithful to His promises. We can trust God because Jesus has shown us who God really is and how the Father really feels about us.

Just as many days we feel our need for more of Jesus than others, so there are days when we make a second pot of coffee. There are days when conversation happens at the coffee shop and we are laughing more and relaxed. Maybe you and I really just need to relax and remember the Gospel first. From there we can trust that God loves us and provides for us and also that we desperately need Him. The good news is that he knows our need before we ask and He is faithful. in fact all of God's promises are "yes" in Jesus. So be of good courage: God is with us by His Holy Spirit and will always do what He has promised so we get what we need at just the right time.
Grace and peace


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment